Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The moment we've all been waiting for.....





That's right, the long awaited San Maranzano's are ready. (and a brandywine or two). I spent the morning in the garden picking tomatoes and trying to manage the tangle of plants.  I cut out tons of the dreaded borage, tied up some slumping sunflowers,  and now can see what is in my raised beds.  
I picked over 5 lbs of San Maranzano's.







 This year we are slow roasting them (200 degrees for 12-12 hours) with a bit of olive oil, dried basil salt and garlic. Then they can be used for recipes or frozen for up to 6 months.  They fill the house with the most intoxicating aroma.  I also roasted mushrooms, eggplant and zucchini to toss over warm pasta for dinner tonight.  Unfortunately I got called into work tonight and won't be able to enjoy this with my family tonight, but I hope to enjoy these throughout the winter. 






....

No comments:

Post a Comment