Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Everybody sews!

Although I love blogging, it really is a time sucker.  Unfortunately real life and work keep taking precedent, so it's been about three weeks since I have gotten around to this blog.  Even now I can hear the kids screaming and feel a little guilty for taking this time to download pictures and write frivolous things.
A few weeks ago, I had a bee in my bonnet to to sew.  
How can I get the machine out and sew and keep the boys entertained all at the same time?
My kids love technology and motors.  I sometimes forget that at the heart of this beautiful little Singer is a motor with pistons and moving parts and a an honest to goodness motor.  All I needed to do was get them interested in the machine (that took no time at all) ,  let them pick projects and promise to let them actually use it.  Viola! 

Asher picked a little pillow made from one of the few pieces of scrap fabric I have.  He loved pushing the pedal and watching the needle pump up and down.  He really loved the finished product! 
                               





Fin wasn't happy just sewing, he needed to take the lid off and see all the inner machination, that I had not even dreamed existed under there.  He decided on a quiver for his bows and I decided that I didn't need a pattern.  I used the left over fabric from my Amy Butler tunic.  It took a little longer than I would have liked, lots of modifications, with Fin insisting it didn't fit right, (this is the same kid who can only wear one pair of socks because the seems on every pair bug him)) but eventually we finished and he is using his quiver daily and showing off his archery skills.
I waited until everyone was in bed and got out the same fabric. I knew I wanted a tunic, but since i can't seem to follow patterns I decided to make it up as I went.  I used a favorite top as a guide.  I can see how having a form would have been very helpful.  It is a real pain to try on a top 25 times with pins sticking you in the sides and head. 
I finished it that night and have been wearing it faithfully since!  Not as cute as the Amy Butler tunic, but it fits a lot better and now I feel like I got a lot more use out of the fabric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment